ICD-10-CM Code S05.5
Penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code S05.5 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of S05.5 that describes the diagnosis 'penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball' in more detail.
- S05.5 Penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball NON-BILLABLE
- S05.50 Penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball NON-BILLABLE
- S05.51 Penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball NON-BILLABLE
- S05.52 Penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for S05.5 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Retained (old) intraocular foreign body (H44.6-, H44.7) - instead, use code H44.6-
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Intraocular foreign body in vitreous (disorder)
- Penetration of eyeball with magnetic foreign body (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'S05.5 - Penetrating wound with foreign body of eyeball'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code S05.5. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.