ICD-10-CM Code S06
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code S06 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the nine child codes of S06 that describes the diagnosis 'intracranial injury' in more detail.
- S06 Intracranial injury NON-BILLABLE
- S06.0 NON-BILLABLE
- S06.0X Concussion NON-BILLABLE
- S06.1 NON-BILLABLE
- S06.1X Traumatic cerebral edema NON-BILLABLE
- S06.2 injury NON-BILLABLE
- S06.2X Diffuse traumatic brain injury NON-BILLABLE
- S06.3 injury NON-BILLABLE
- S06.30 Unspecified focal traumatic brain injury NON-BILLABLE
- S06.31 Contusion and laceration of right cerebrum NON-BILLABLE
- S06.32 Contusion and laceration of left cerebrum NON-BILLABLE
- S06.33 Contusion and laceration of cerebrum, unspecified NON-BILLABLE
- S06.34 Traumatic hemorrhage of right cerebrum NON-BILLABLE
- S06.35 Traumatic hemorrhage of left cerebrum NON-BILLABLE
- S06.36 Traumatic hemorrhage of cerebrum, unspecified NON-BILLABLE
- S06.37 Contusion, laceration, and hemorrhage of cerebellum NON-BILLABLE
- S06.38 Contusion, laceration, and hemorrhage of brainstem NON-BILLABLE
- S06.4 NON-BILLABLE
- S06.4X Epidural hemorrhage NON-BILLABLE
- S06.5 NON-BILLABLE
- S06.5X Traumatic subdural hemorrhage NON-BILLABLE
- S06.6 NON-BILLABLE
- S06.6X Traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage NON-BILLABLE
- S06.8 NON-BILLABLE
- S06.9 injury NON-BILLABLE
- S06.9X Unspecified intracranial injury NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code S06 is used to code Intracranial hemorrhage
An intracranial hemorrhage (ICH) is a hemorrhage, or bleeding, within the skull.
|MeSH Codes:||D020300, D020300, D020300, D020300, D020300, D020300, D020300, D020300|
|ICD 9 Codes:||430, 431, 432, 850, 851, 852, 853, 854|
Axial CT scan of a spontaneous intracranial hemorrhage
Coding Notes for S06 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Traumatic brain injury
Code Also Note:
Code AlsoA Code Also note indicates that two or more codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but the order of codes is at the coder's discretion. Code order depends on the severity of the conditions and the reason for the encounter.
- Any associated:
- Open wound of head See code S01.-
- Skull fracture See code S02.-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Head injury NOS - instead, use code S09.90
7th Character Extension Notes:
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category See Code S06