ICD-10-CM Code S06.376
Contusion, laceration, and hemorrhage of cerebellum with loss of consciousness greater than 24 hours without return to pre-existing conscious level with patient surviving
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code S06.376 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'contus/lac/hem crblm w loc >24 hr w/o ret consc w surv' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit||Billable Code||7th Digit Specifies|
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
The ICD code S063 is used to code Cerebral contusion
Cerebral contusion, Latin contusio cerebri, a form of traumatic brain injury, is a bruise of the brain tissue. Like bruises in other tissues, cerebral contusion can be associated with multiple microhemorrhages, small blood vessel leaks into brain tissue. Contusion occurs in 20–30% of severe head injuries. A cerebral laceration is a similar injury except that, according to their respective definitions, the pia-arachnoid membranes are torn over the site of injury in laceration and are not torn in contusion. The injury can cause a decline in mental function in the long term and in the emergency setting may result in brain herniation, a life-threatening condition in which parts of the brain are squeezed past parts of the skull. Thus treatment aims to prevent dangerous rises in intracranial pressure, the pressure within the skull.
|ICD 9 Code:||851|
CT scan showing cerebral contusions, hemorrhage within the hemispheres, subdural hematoma on the left, and skull fractures
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Cerebellar contusion without open intracranial wound AND with prolonged loss of consciousness (more than 24 hours) without return to pre-existing conscious level (disorder)
- Cerebellar laceration without open intracranial wound AND with prolonged loss of consciousness (more than 24 hours) without return to pre-existing conscious level (disorder)
- Cerebellar laceration with open intracranial wound AND prolonged loss of consciousness (more than 24 hours) without return to pre-existing conscious level (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Episode of care information needed
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for an external cause code