ICD-10-CM Code S49.9
Unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code S49.9 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of S49.9 that describes the diagnosis 'unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm' in more detail.
- S49.9 Unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm NON-BILLABLE
- S49.90 Unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm NON-BILLABLE
- S49.91 Unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm NON-BILLABLE
- S49.92 Unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for S49.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
7th Character Extension Notes:
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code in subcategory S49.9 See code S49.9
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'S49.9 - Unspecified injury of shoulder and upper arm'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code S49.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.