ICD-10-CM Code T40.2
Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of other opioids
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code T40.2 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the one child codes of T40.2 that describes the diagnosis 'poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of opioids' in more detail.
- T40.2 Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of other opioids NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of other opioids NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X1 Poisoning by other opioids, accidental (unintentional) NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X2 Poisoning by other opioids, intentional self-harm NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X3 Poisoning by other opioids, assault NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X4 Poisoning by other opioids, undetermined NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X5 Adverse effect of other opioids NON-BILLABLE
- T40.2X6 Underdosing of other opioids NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code T402 is used to code Opioid overdose
Opioid overdose is an acute condition due to excessive opioids. Examples of opioids are: morphine, heroin, tramadol, oxycodone, and methadone. It differs from opioid dependency. Although opioid overdose doesn't constitute a majority of the overdoses seen in the emergency department it is important to rule out in people given its potential for mortality and the ease of reversal. Dependence on prescription opioids can stem from treatment of chronic pain and in recent years is the cause of the increased number of opioid overdoses.
|ICD 9 Codes:||305.5, 965.0|