ICD-10-CM Code T78
Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code T78 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of T78 that describes the diagnosis 'adverse effects, not elsewhere classified' in more detail.
- T78 Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified NON-BILLABLE
- T78.0 NON-BILLABLE
- T78.00 Anaphylactic reaction due to unspecified food NON-BILLABLE
- T78.01 Anaphylactic reaction due to peanuts NON-BILLABLE
- T78.02 Anaphylactic reaction due to shellfish (crustaceans) NON-BILLABLE
- T78.03 Anaphylactic reaction due to other fish NON-BILLABLE
- T78.04 Anaphylactic reaction due to fruits and vegetables NON-BILLABLE
- T78.05 Anaphylactic reaction due to tree nuts and seeds NON-BILLABLE
- T78.06 Anaphylactic reaction due to food additives NON-BILLABLE
- T78.07 Anaphylactic reaction due to milk and dairy products NON-BILLABLE
- T78.08 Anaphylactic reaction due to eggs NON-BILLABLE
- T78.09 Anaphylactic reaction due to other food products NON-BILLABLE
- T78.1 not elsewhere classified NON-BILLABLE
- T78.2 NON-BILLABLE
- T78.3 NON-BILLABLE
- T78.4 NON-BILLABLE
- T78.8 effects, not elsewhere classified NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code T78 is used to code Adverse effect
In medicine, an adverse effect is an undesired harmful effect resulting from a medication or other intervention such as surgery.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.89|
Coding Notes for T78 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Complications of surgical and medical care NEC - instead, use Section T80-T88
7th Character Extension Notes:
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category See Code T78
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T78 - Adverse effects, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T78. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.