ICD-10-CM Code T78.1
Other adverse food reactions, not elsewhere classified
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code T78.1 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'other adverse food reactions, not elsewhere classified' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit||Billable Code||7th Digit Specifies|
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
The ICD code T78 is used to code Adverse effect
In medicine, an adverse effect is an undesired harmful effect resulting from a medication or other intervention such as surgery.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.89|
Coding Notes for T78.1 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify the type of reaction
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Anaphylactic reaction or shock due to adverse food reaction - instead, use code T78.0-
- Anaphylactic reaction due to food - instead, use code T78.0-
- Bacterial food borne intoxications - instead, use code A05.-
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Allergic and dietetic gastroenteritis and colitis - instead, use code K52.2
- Allergic rhinitis due to food - instead, use code J30.5
- Dermatitis due to food in contact with skin (L23.6, L24.6, L25.4) - instead, use code L23.6
- Dermatitis due to ingested food - instead, use code L27.2
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Episode of care information needed
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T78.1 - Other adverse food reactions, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T78.1. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.