ICD-10-CM Code T80.1
Vascular complications following infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code T80.1 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'vascular comp fol infusion, transfuse and theraputc inject' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit||Billable Code||7th Digit Specifies|
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
Coding Notes for T80.1 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify the vascular complication
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Extravasation of vesicant agent - instead, use code T80.81-
- Infiltration of vesicant agent - instead, use code T80.81-
- Vascular complications specified as due to prosthetic devices, implants and grafts (T82.8-, T83.8, T84.8-, T85.8) - instead, use code T82.8-
- Postprocedural vascular complications - instead, use code T81.7-
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Thrombophlebitis after infusion (disorder)
- Thromboembolism after infusion (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Episode of care information needed
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T80.1 - Vascular complications following infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T80.1. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.