ICD-10-CM Code T80.219
Unspecified infection due to central venous catheter
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code T80.219 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'unspecified infection due to central venous catheter' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit||Billable Code||7th Digit Specifies|
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
Coding Notes for T80.219 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Central line-associated infection NOS
- Unspecified infection due to Hickman catheter
- Unspecified infection due to peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)
- Unspecified infection due to portacath (port-a-cath)
- Unspecified infection due to triple lumen catheter
- Unspecified infection due to umbilical venous catheter
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Episode of care information needed
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T80.219 - Unspecified infection due to central venous catheter'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T80.219. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.