ICD-10-CM Code T80.89
Other complications following infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code T80.89 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'oth comp fol infusion, transfuse and theraputc injection' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit Specifies
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
The ICD code T808 is used to code Transfusion hemosiderosis
Transfusional hemosiderosis is the accumulation of iron in the liver and/or heart but also endocrine organs, in patients who receive frequent blood transfusions (such as those with thalassemia, sickle cell disease, aplastic anemia or myelodysplastic syndrome).
|ICD 9 Codes:
Coding Notes for T80.89 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Delayed serologic transfusion reaction (DSTR), unspecified incompatibility
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify graft-versus-host reaction, if applicable, See code D89.81-
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute megaloblastic anemia secondary to total parenteral nutrition (disorder)
- Hyperchloremic acidosis associated with dialysis (disorder)
- Hemodialysis-associated pseudoporphyria (disorder)
- Lipoatrophy due to injected drug (disorder)
- Penile sclerosing lipogranuloma due to injected substance (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Episode of care information needed
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T80.89 - Other complications following infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T80.89. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.