ICD-10-CM Code T81.4
Infection following a procedure
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code T81.4 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'infection following a procedure' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit||Billable Code||7th Digit Specifies|
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
Coding Notes for T81.4 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Intra-abdominal abscess following a procedure
- Postprocedural infection, not elsewhere classified
- Sepsis following a procedure
- Stitch abscess following a procedure
- Subphrenic abscess following a procedure
- Wound abscess following a procedure
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify infection
- Code See code R65.2- to identify severe sepsis, if applicable
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Obstetric surgical wound infection - instead, use code O86.0
- Postprocedural fever NOS - instead, use code R50.82
- Postprocedural retroperitoneal abscess - instead, use code K68.11
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Bleb associated endophthalmitis - instead, use code H59.4-
- Infection due to infusion, transfusion and therapeutic injection - instead, use code T80.2-
- Infection due to prosthetic devices, implants and grafts (T82.6-T82.7, T83.5-T83.6, T84.5-T84.7, T85.7) - instead, use code T82.6-
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection of postoperative wound (disorder)
- Organ-space surgical site infection (disorder)
- Infected seroma after surgical procedure (disorder)
- Postoperative abdominal wall wound abscess (disorder)
- Postoperative subphrenic abscess (disorder)
- Postoperative wound cellulitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Possible requirement for additional code to fully describe disease or condition
- Episode of care information needed
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for causative disease code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T81.4 - Infection following a procedure'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T81.4. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.