ICD-10-CM Code T88.8
Other specified complications of surgical and medical care, not elsewhere classified
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
7th Character RequiredCode requires 7th Character Extension identifier. This 7th Character usually captures Episode of Care information, such as "Initial Encounter," "Subsquent Encounter," or "Sequela."
ICD Code T88.8 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use specify a 7th character that describes the diagnosis 'oth complications of surgical and medical care, nec' in more detail. The 7th characters that can be added, and the resulting billable codes, are as follows:
|7th Digit||Billable Code||7th Digit Specifies|
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
The ICD code T88 is used to code Injury
Coding Notes for T88.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify the complication
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Secondary dental caries associated with failed or defective dental restoration (disorder)
- Wound - in medical care (disorder)
- Iatrogenic angle-closure glaucoma (disorder)
- Accidental perforation during medical care (disorder)
- Paraffinoma of skin (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for an external cause code
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Episode of care information needed
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'T88.8 - Other specified complications of surgical and medical care, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code T88.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.