ICD-10-CM Code X78
Intentional self-harm by sharp object
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code X78 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of X78 that describes the diagnosis 'intentional self-harm by sharp object' in more detail.
- X78 Intentional self-harm by sharp object NON-BILLABLE
- X78.0 Intentional self-harm by sharp glass NON-BILLABLE
- X78.1 Intentional self-harm by knife NON-BILLABLE
- X78.2 Intentional self-harm by sword or dagger NON-BILLABLE
- X78.8 Intentional self-harm by other sharp object NON-BILLABLE
- X78.9 Intentional self-harm by unspecified sharp object NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for X78 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
7th Character Extension Notes:
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category See Code X78
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for place of occurrence
- This is an external cause code for use in a secondary position
ICD-10-CM External Cause Index References for 'X78 - Intentional self-harm by sharp object'
The ICD-10-CM External Cause Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code X78. Click on any term below to browse the external cause index.