ICD-10-CM Code Z16
Resistance to antimicrobial drugs
| ICD-10 from 2011 - 2016
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code Z16 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of Z16 that describes the diagnosis 'resistance to antimicrobial drugs' in more detail.
- Z16 Resistance to antimicrobial drugs NON-BILLABLE
- Z16.1 Resistance to NON-BILLABLE
- Z16.2 Resistance to NON-BILLABLE
- Z16.20 Resistance to unspecified antibiotic BILLABLE
- Z16.21 Resistance to vancomycin BILLABLE
- Z16.22 Resistance to vancomycin related antibiotics BILLABLE
- Z16.23 Resistance to quinolones and fluoroquinolones BILLABLE
- Z16.24 Resistance to multiple antibiotics BILLABLE
- Z16.29 Resistance to other single specified antibiotic BILLABLE
- Z16.3 Resistance to antimicrobial drugs NON-BILLABLE
- Z16.30 Resistance to unspecified antimicrobial drugs BILLABLE
- Z16.31 Resistance to antiparasitic drug(s) BILLABLE
- Z16.32 Resistance to antifungal drug(s) BILLABLE
- Z16.33 Resistance to antiviral drug(s) BILLABLE
- Z16.34 Resistance to antimycobacterial drug(s) NON-BILLABLE
- Z16.35 Resistance to multiple antimicrobial drugs BILLABLE
- Z16.39 Resistance to other specified antimicrobial drug BILLABLE
Coding Notes for Z16 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Code Notes:
- The codes in this category are provided for use as additional codes to identify the resistance and non-responsiveness of a condition to antimicrobial drugs.
- The infection
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection - instead, use code A49.02
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in diseases classified elsewhere - instead, use code B95.62
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia - instead, use code J15.212
- Sepsis due to Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus - instead, use code A41.02