ICD-10-CM Code Z18
Retained foreign body fragments
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code Z18 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the six child codes of Z18 that describes the diagnosis 'retained foreign body fragments' in more detail.
- Z18 Retained foreign body fragments NON-BILLABLE
- Z18.0 Retained fragments NON-BILLABLE
- Z18.1 Retained fragments NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE Z18.2 Retained fragments
- Z18.3 Retained fragments NON-BILLABLE
- Z18.8 foreign body NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE Z18.9 Retained foreign body
Coding Notes for Z18 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Embedded fragment (status)
- Embedded splinter (status)
- Retained foreign body status
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Artificial joint prosthesis status - instead, use code Z96.6-
- Foreign body accidentally left during a procedure - instead, use code T81.5-
- Foreign body entering through orifice - instead, use Section T15-T19
- In situ cardiac device - instead, use code Z95.-
- Organ or tissue replaced by means other than transplant (Z96.-, Z97.-) - instead, use code Z96.-
- Organ or tissue replaced by transplant - instead, use code Z94.-
- Personal history of retained foreign body fully removed Z87.821 - instead, use code Z87.821
- Superficial foreign body (non-embedded splinter) - code to superficial foreign body, by site
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'Z18 - Retained foreign body fragments'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code Z18. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.