ICD-10-CM Code Z21
Asymptomatic human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] infection status
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Z21 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of asymptomatic human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] infection status. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for Z21 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- HIV positive NOS
- Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium, if applicable See code O98.7-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome - instead, use Section B20
- Contact with human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] - instead, use code Z20.6
- Exposure to human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] - instead, use code Z20.6
- Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease - instead, use Section B20
- Inconclusive laboratory evidence of human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] - instead, use Code R75
- DRG Group #865-866 - Viral illness with MCC.
- DRG Group #865-866 - Viral illness without MCC.
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'Z21 - Asymptomatic human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] infection status'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code Z21. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code V08 was previously used, Z21 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.