ICD-10-CM Code Z98.89
Other specified postprocedural states
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
POA Exempt CodeThe Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires medical coders to indicate whether or not a condition was present at the time of admission, in order to properly assign MS-DRG codes. This "Present On Admission" (POA) indicator is recorded on CMS form 4010A.
Z98.89 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other specified postprocedural states. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
POA Indicators on CMS form 4010A are as follows:
|Indicator||Meaning||CMS Will Pay CC/MCC DRG Costs|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission||Yes|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission||No|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||No|
|W||Clinically undetermined. Provider unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||Yes|
|1||Exempt from POA reporting||No|
Coding Notes for Z98.89 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Personal history of surgery, not elsewhere classified
- DRG Group #951 - Other factors influencing health status.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Postoperative nausea and vomiting (disorder)
- History of surgical procedure on cervical spine (situation)
- History of uterine myomectomy (situation)
- History of repair of hip joint (situation)
- History of piercing of tongue (situation)
- History of bidirectional superior cavopulmonary anastomosis (situation)
- History of anastomosis of vena cava to pulmonary artery (situation)
- History of yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser iridotomy (situation)
- History of repair of aortic root (situation)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'Z98.89 - Other specified postprocedural states'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code Z98.89. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code Z98.89 and a single ICD9 code, V45.89 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.