ICD-10-CM Code Z99.2
Dependence on renal dialysis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
POA Exempt CodeThe Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires medical coders to indicate whether or not a condition was present at the time of admission, in order to properly assign MS-DRG codes. This "Present On Admission" (POA) indicator is recorded on CMS form 4010A.
Z99.2 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of dependence on renal dialysis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
POA Indicators on CMS form 4010A are as follows:
|Indicator||Meaning||CMS Will Pay CC/MCC DRG Costs|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission||Yes|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission||No|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||No|
|W||Clinically undetermined. Provider unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||Yes|
|1||Exempt from POA reporting||No|
Coding Notes for Z99.2 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Hemodialysis status
- Peritoneal dialysis status
- Presence of arteriovenous shunt for dialysis
- Renal dialysis status NOS
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Encounter for fitting and adjustment of dialysis catheter - instead, use code Z49.0-
- Noncompliance with renal dialysis - instead, use code Z91.15
- DRG Group #951 - Other factors influencing health status.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Malignant hypertensive end stage renal disease on dialysis (disorder)
- Dependence on dialysis due to end stage renal disease (finding)
- Hypertension concurrent and due to end stage renal disease on dialysis (disorder)
- Hypertension concurrent and due to end stage renal disease on dialysis due to type 2 diabetes mellitus (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'Z99.2 - Dependence on renal dialysis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code Z99.2. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code V45.11 was previously used, Z99.2 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.