ICD-10-CM Code N39.0
Urinary tract infection, site not specified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
N39.0 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of urinary tract infection, site not specified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N390 is used to code Pyuria
In medicine, pyuria /paɪjʊəˈriːə/ is the condition of urine containing white blood cells or pus. Defined as the presence of 6-10 or more neutrophils per high power field of unspun, voided mid-stream urine. It can be a sign of a bacterial urinary tract infection. Pyuria may be present in the septic patient, or in an older patient with pneumonia.
|ICD 9 Code:||791.9|
White blood cells seen under a microscope from a urine sample.
Coding Notes for N39.0 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code See Section B95-B97, to identify infectious agent.
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Candidiasis of urinary tract - instead, use code B37.4-
- Neonatal urinary tract infection - instead, use code P39.3
- Urinary tract infection of specified site, such as:
- Cystitis - instead, use code N30.-
- Urethritis - instead, use code N34.-
- DRG Group #689-690 - Kidney and urinary tract infections with MCC.
- DRG Group #689-690 - Kidney and urinary tract infections without MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Recurrent urinary tract infection (disorder)
- Chronic lower urinary tract infection (disorder)
- Sterile pyuria (finding)
- Pyogenic proteinuria (finding)
- Proteus urinary tract infection (disorder)
- Escherichia coli urinary tract infection (disorder)
- Urinary tract infection associated with catheter (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for causative agent code
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N39.0 - Urinary tract infection, site not specified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N39.0. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 599.0 was previously used, N39.0 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.