ICD-10-CM Chapter 10
Diseases of the respiratory system
Chapter 10 of the 2016 edition of the ICD-10-CM contains ICD codes that cover diseases of the respiratory system, in the code range J00-J99.
Coding Notes for Chapter 10
- Chapter Notes:
- When a respiratory condition is described as occurring in more than one site and is not specifically indexed, it should be classified to the lower anatomic site (e.g. tracheobronchitis to bronchitis in Code J40.
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code, where applicable, to identify:
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z77.22
- Exposure to tobacco smoke in the perinatal period See code P96.81
- History of tobacco use See code Z87.891
- Occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke See code Z57.31
- Tobacco dependence See code F17.-
- Tobacco use See code Z72.0
Chapter Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period - instead, use Section P04-P96
- Certain infectious and parasitic diseases - instead, use Section A00-B99
- Complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium - instead, use Section O00-O9A
- Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities - instead, use Section Q00-Q99
- Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases - instead, use Section E00-E88
- Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes - instead, use Section S00-T88
- Neoplasms - instead, use Section C00-D49
- Smoke inhalation - instead, use code T59.81-
- Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified - instead, use Section R00-R94