ICD-10-CM Chapter 1
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases
Chapter 1 of the 2016 edition of the ICD-10-CM contains ICD codes that cover certain infectious and parasitic diseases, in the code range A00-B99.
|Code Range||Section Description|
|A00-A09||Intestinal infectious diseases|
|A20-A28||Certain zoonotic bacterial diseases|
|A30-A49||Other bacterial diseases|
|A50-A64||Infections with a predominantly sexual mode of transmission|
|A65-A69||Other spirochetal diseases|
|A70-A74||Other diseases caused by chlamydiae|
|A80-A89||Viral and prion infections of the central nervous system|
|A90-A99||Arthropod-borne viral fevers and viral hemorrhagic fevers|
|B00-B09||Viral infections characterized by skin and mucous membrane lesions|
|B10||Other human herpesviruses|
|B20||Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease|
|B25-B34||Other viral diseases|
|B85-B89||Pediculosis, acariasis and other infestations|
|B90-B94||Sequelae of infectious and parasitic diseases|
|B95-B97||Bacterial and viral infectious agents|
|B99||Other infectious diseases|
Coding Notes for Chapter 1
Chapter Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Diseases generally recognized as communicable or transmissible
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify resistance to antimicrobial drugs See code Z16.-
Chapter Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Certain localized infections - see body system-related chapters
Chapter Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Carrier or suspected carrier of infectious disease - instead, use code Z22.-
- Infectious and parasitic diseases complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium - instead, use code O98.-
- Infectious and parasitic diseases specific to the perinatal period - instead, use Section P35-P39
- Influenza and other acute respiratory infections - instead, use Section J00-J22