ICD-10-CM Chapter 15
Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
Chapter 15 of the 2016 edition of the ICD-10-CM contains ICD codes that cover pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium, in the code range O00-O9A.
Coding Notes for Chapter 15
- Chapter Notes:
- CODES FROM THIS CHAPTER ARE FOR USE ONLY ON MATERNAL RECORDS, NEVER ON NEWBORN RECORDS
- Codes from this chapter are for use for conditions related to or aggravated by the pregnancy, childbirth, or by the puerperium (maternal causes or obstetric causes)
- Trimesters are counted from the first day of the last menstrual period. They are defined as follows:
- 1st trimester- less than 14 weeks 0 days
- 2nd trimester- 14 weeks 0 days to less than 28 weeks 0 days
- 3rd trimester- 28 weeks 0 days until delivery
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code from category Z3A, Weeks of gestation, to identify the specific week of the pregnancy See code Z3A
Chapter Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Supervision of normal pregnancy - instead, use code Z34.-
Chapter Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Mental and behavioral disorders associated with the puerperium - instead, use Code F53
- Obstetrical tetanus - instead, use Code A34
- Postpartum necrosis of pituitary gland - instead, use code E23.0
- Puerperal osteomalacia - instead, use code M83.0