ICD-10-CM Code N88.3
Incompetence of cervix uteri
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Female OnlyCode is only used for female patients.
N88.3 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of incompetence of cervix uteri. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N883 is used to code Cervical incompetence
Cervical incompetence (or cervical insufficiency) is a medical condition in which a pregnant woman's cervix begins to dilate (widen) and efface (thin) before her pregnancy has reached term. Definitions of cervical incompetence vary, but one that is frequently used is the inability of the uterine cervix to retain a pregnancy in the absence of the signs and symptoms of clinical contractions, or labor, or both in the second trimester. Cervical incompetence may cause miscarriage or preterm birth during the second and third trimesters. Another sign of cervical incompetence is funneling at the internal orifice of the uterus, which is a dilation of the cervical canal at this location.
|ICD 9 Code:||622.5|
Coding Notes for N88.3 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Investigation and management of (suspected) cervical incompetence in a nonpregnant woman
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Cervical incompetence complicating pregnancy - instead, use code O34.3-
- DRG Group #742-743 - Uterine and adnexa procedure for non-malignancy with CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #742-743 - Uterine and adnexa procedure for non-malignancy without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #760-761 - Menstrual and other female reproductive system disorders with CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #760-761 - Menstrual and other female reproductive system disorders without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Cervical incompetence with postnatal complication (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N88.3 - Incompetence of cervix uteri'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N88.3. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 622.5 was previously used, N88.3 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.