ICD-10-CM Code G04.02
Postimmunization acute disseminated encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
G04.02 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of postimmunization acute disseminated encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code G040 is used to code Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis
Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM), or acute demyelinating encephalomyelitis, is a rare autoimmune disease marked by a sudden, widespread attack of inflammation in the brain and spinal cord. As well as causing the brain and spinal cord to become inflamed, ADEM also attacks the nerves of the central nervous system and damages their myelin insulation, which, as a result, destroys the white matter. It is often triggered after the patient has received a viral infection or vaccination.
|MeSH Codes:||D004673, D004673|
|ICD 9 Codes:||323.61, 323.81|
Coding Notes for G04.02 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Encephalitis, post immunization
- Encephalomyelitis, post immunization
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify the vaccine (T50.A-, T50.B-, T50.Z-) See code T50.A-
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx with MCC or chemo implant.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx without MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with CC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis without CC or MCC.
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'G04.02 - Postimmunization acute disseminated encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code G04.02. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code G04.02 and a single ICD9 code, 323.52 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.