ICD-10-CM Code N17.9
Acute kidney failure, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
N17.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute kidney failure, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code N17 is used to code Renal failure
Renal failure, also known as kidney failure or renal insufficiency, is a medical condition in which the kidneys fail to adequately filter waste products from the blood. The two main forms are acute kidney injury, which is often reversible with adequate treatment, and chronic kidney disease, which is often not reversible. In both cases, there is usually an underlying cause.
|ICD 9 Codes:||584, 585|
A hemodialysis machine, used to replace the function of the kidneys in renal failure
Coding Notes for N17.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Acute kidney injury (nontraumatic)
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Traumatic kidney injury - instead, use code S37.0-
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #673-675 - Other kidney and urinary tract procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with MCC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure with CC.
- DRG Group #682-684 - Renal failure without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Acute-on-chronic renal failure (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'N17.9 - Acute kidney failure, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code N17.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 584.9 was previously used, N17.9 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.