ICD-10-CM Code Q20
Congenital malformations of cardiac chambers and connections
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code Q20 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the nine child codes of Q20 that describes the diagnosis 'congenital malformations of cardiac chambers and connections' in more detail.
- Q20 Congenital malformations of cardiac chambers and connections NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE Q20.0 Common arterial trunk
- BILLABLE Q20.1 Double outlet right ventricle
- BILLABLE Q20.2 Double outlet left ventricle
- BILLABLE Q20.3 Discordant ventriculoarterial connection
- BILLABLE Q20.4 Double inlet ventricle
- BILLABLE Q20.5 Discordant atrioventricular connection
- BILLABLE Q20.6 Isomerism of atrial appendages
- BILLABLE Q20.8 Other congenital malformations of cardiac chambers and connections
- BILLABLE Q20.9 Congenital malformation of cardiac chambers and connections, unspecified
The ICD code Q20 is used to code Congenital heart defect
Congenital heart defect (CHD), also known as a congenital heart anomaly or congenital heart disease, is a problem in the structure of the heart that is present at birth. Signs and symptoms depend on the specific type of problem. Symptoms can vary from none to life-threatening. When present they may include rapid breathing, bluish skin, poor weight gain, and feeling tired. It does not cause chest pain. Most congenital heart problems do not occur with other diseases. Complications that can result from heart defects include heart failure.
|D006330, D006330, D006330
|ICD 9 Codes:
|745, 746, 747
The normal structure of the heart (left) in comparison to two common locations for a ventricular septal defect (right), the most common form of congenital heart defect.
Coding Notes for Q20 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Dextrocardia with situs inversus - instead, use code Q89.3
- Mirror-image atrial arrangement with situs inversus - instead, use code Q89.3
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'Q20 - Congenital malformations of cardiac chambers and connections'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code Q20. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.