ICD-10-CM Code W89
Exposure to man-made visible and ultraviolet light
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code W89 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of W89 that describes the diagnosis 'exposure to man-made visible and ultraviolet light' in more detail.
- W89 Exposure to man-made visible and ultraviolet light NON-BILLABLE
- W89.0 Exposure to light NON-BILLABLE
- W89.1 Exposure to NON-BILLABLE
- W89.8 Exposure to man-made visible and ultraviolet light NON-BILLABLE
- W89.9 Exposure to man-made visible and ultraviolet light NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for W89 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Exposure to welding light (arc)
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Exposure to sunlight - instead, use Code X32
7th Character Extension Notes:
What is 7th Character Extension?For codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character a placeholder 'X' should be assigned for all characters less than 6. The 7th character must always be the 7th position of a code. E.g. The ICD-10-CM code T67.4 (Heat exhaustion due to salt depletion) requires an Episode of Care identifier. T67.4XXA Initial Encounter or T67.4XXD Subsequent Encounter. More Info
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category See Code W89
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Possible requirement for place of occurrence
- This is an external cause code for use in a secondary position
ICD-10-CM External Cause Index References for 'W89 - Exposure to man-made visible and ultraviolet light'
The ICD-10-CM External Cause Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code W89. Click on any term below to browse the external cause index.