ICD-10-CM Code J44.9
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J44.9 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J44 is used to code Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also known as chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD) and chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD), among others, is a type of obstructive lung disease characterized by chronically poor airflow. It typically worsens over time. The main symptoms include shortness of breath, cough, and sputum production. Most people with chronic bronchitis have COPD.
|MeSH Codes:||, , , , ,|
|ICD 9 Codes:||490, 491, 492, 494, 495, 496|
Gross pathology of a lung showing centrilobular-type emphysema characteristic of smoking. This close-up of the fixed, cut lung surface shows multiple cavities filled with heavy black carbon deposits.
Coding Notes for J44.9 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Chronic obstructive airway disease NOS
- Chronic obstructive lung disease NOS
- DRG Group #190-192 - Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with MCC.
- DRG Group #190-192 - Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with CC.
- DRG Group #190-192 - Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Pulmonary hypertension due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (disorder)
- Chronic asthmatic bronchitis (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
- Possible requirement for causative disease code
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J44.9 - Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J44.9. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J44.9 and a single ICD9 code, 496 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.