ICD-10-CM Code R39.81
Functional urinary incontinence
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
R39.81 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of functional urinary incontinence. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
Coding Notes for R39.81 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Urinary incontinence due to cognitive impairment, or severe physical disability or immobility
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Stress incontinence and other specified urinary incontinence (N39.3-N39.4-) - instead, use code N39.3-
- Urinary incontinence NOS - instead, use Code R32
- DRG Group #695-696 - Kidney and urinary tract signs and symptoms with MCC.
- DRG Group #695-696 - Kidney and urinary tract signs and symptoms without MCC.
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'R39.81 - Functional urinary incontinence'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code R39.81. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 788.91 was previously used, R39.81 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.