ICD-10-CM Code S09.3
Other specified and unspecified injury of middle and inner ear
| ICD-10 from 2011 - 2016
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code S09.3 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the three child codes of S09.3 that describes the diagnosis 'oth and unspecified injury of middle and inner ear' in more detail.
- S09.3 Other specified and unspecified injury of middle and inner ear NON-BILLABLE
- S09.30 Unspecified injury of middle and inner ear NON-BILLABLE
- S09.31 Primary blast injury of ear NON-BILLABLE
- S09.39 Other specified injury of middle and inner ear NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for S09.3 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Injury to ear NOS - instead, use code S09.91-
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Injury to external ear (S00.4-, S01.3-, S08.1-) - instead, use code S00.4-