ICD-10-CM Code J18
Pneumonia, unspecified organism
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code J18 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of J18 that describes the diagnosis 'pneumonia, unspecified organism' in more detail.
- J18 Pneumonia, unspecified organism NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code J18 is used to code Bronchopneumonia
Bronchopneumonia, bronchial pneumonia or bronchogenic pneumonia (not to be confused with lobar pneumonia) is the acute inflammation of the walls of the bronchioles. It is a type of pneumonia characterized by multiple foci of isolated, acute consolidation, affecting one or more pulmonary lobules.
|Specialty:||Infectious Disease, Pulmonology|
|MeSH Codes:||D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014, D011014|
|ICD 9 Codes:||480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 770.0|
Coding Notes for J18 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Associated influenza, if applicable (J09.X1, J10.0-, J11.0-) See code J09.X
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Abscess of lung with pneumonia - instead, use code J85.1
- Aspiration pneumonia due to anesthesia during labor and delivery - instead, use code O74.0
- Aspiration pneumonia due to anesthesia during pregnancy - instead, use Code O29
- Aspiration pneumonia due to anesthesia during puerperium - instead, use code O89.0
- Aspiration pneumonia due to solids and liquids - instead, use code J69.-
- Aspiration pneumonia NOS - instead, use code J69.0
- Congenital pneumonia - instead, use code P23.0
- Drug-induced interstitial lung disorder (J70.2-J70.4) - instead, use code J70.2-
- Interstitial pneumonia NOS - instead, use code J84.9
- Lipid pneumonia - instead, use code J69.1
- Neonatal aspiration pneumonia - instead, use code P24.-
- Pneumonitis due to external agents - instead, use Section J67-J70
- Pneumonitis due to fumes and vapors - instead, use code J68.0
- Usual interstitial pneumonia - instead, use code J84.17
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J18 - Pneumonia, unspecified organism'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J18. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.