ICD-10-CM Code J35.8
Other chronic diseases of tonsils and adenoids
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J35.8 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of other chronic diseases of tonsils and adenoids. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J358 is used to code Tonsillolith
″Tonsilloliths″, also known as tonsil stones or tonsillar calculi (singular: calculus), are clusters of calcified material that form in the crevices of the tonsils (tonsillar crypts). While they occur most commonly in the palatine tonsils, they may also occur in the lingual tonsils. Tonsilloliths have been recorded weighing from 0.3g to 42g . They are composed mostly of calcium, but may contain other minerals such as phosphorus and magnesium, as well as ammonia and carbonate.
|ICD 9 Code:||474.8|
A tonsillolith lodged in the tonsillar crypt
Coding Notes for J35.8 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Adenoid vegetations
- Calculus, tonsil
- Cicatrix of tonsil (and adenoid)
- Tonsillar tag
- Ulcer of tonsil
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #154-156 - Other ear, nose, mouth and throat diagnoses without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Ulcer of tonsil (disorder)
- Peritonsillar cyst (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J35.8 - Other chronic diseases of tonsils and adenoids'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J35.8. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code J35.8 and a single ICD9 code, 474.8 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.