ICD-10-CM Code O68
Labor and delivery complicated by abnormality of fetal acid-base balance
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Female OnlyCode is only used for female patients.
Maternity OnlyCode is only used for diagnoses related to pregnancy.
O68 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of labor and delivery complicated by abnormality of fetal acid-base balance. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code O68 is used to code Fetal distress
In medicine (obstetrics), the term fetal distress refers to the presence of signs in a pregnant woman—before or during childbirth—that suggest that the fetus may not be well. Because of its lack of precision, the term is eschewed in modern American obstetrics.
|MeSH Codes:||D005316, D005316, D005316|
|ICD 9 Codes:||768.2, 768.3, 768.4|
Coding Notes for O68 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Fetal acidemia complicating labor and delivery
- Fetal acidosis complicating labor and delivery
- Fetal alkalosis complicating labor and delivery
- Fetal metabolic acidemia complicating labor and delivery
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Fetal stress NOS - instead, use code O77.9
- Labor and delivery complicated by electrocardiographic evidence of fetal stress - instead, use code O77.8
- Labor and delivery complicated by ultrasonic evidence of fetal stress - instead, use code O77.8
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Abnormality in fetal heart rate or rhythm - instead, use Code O76
- Labor and delivery complicated by meconium in amniotic fluid - instead, use code O77.0
- DRG Group #767-768 - Vaginal delivery with sterilization and or d&c.
- DRG Group #767-768 - Vaginal delivery with operating room procedure except steril and or d&c.
- DRG Group #774 - Vaginal delivery with complicating diagnoses.
- DRG Group #775 - Vaginal delivery without complicating diagnoses.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Maternal care for fetal acidosis during pregnancy (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'O68 - Labor and delivery complicated by abnormality of fetal acid-base balance'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code O68. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Codes GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code O68 and a single ICD9 code, 656.81 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.