ICD-10-CM Code A09
Infectious gastroenteritis and colitis, unspecified
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
A09 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of infectious gastroenteritis and colitis, unspecified. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code A09 is used to code Enteritis
Enteritis (entero- + -itis) is inflammation of the small intestine. It is most commonly caused by food or drink contaminated with pathogenic microbes. Symptoms include abdominal pain, cramping, diarrhea, dehydration, and fever. Inflammation of related organs of the gastrointestinal system are:
|MeSH Codes:||D004751, D004751, D004751, D004751, D004751, D004751, D004751|
|ICD 9 Codes:||5, 8, 9, 555, 556, 557, 558|
Coding Notes for A09 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Infectious colitis NOS
- Infectious enteritis NOS
- Infectious gastroenteritis NOS
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Colitis NOS - instead, use code K52.9
- Diarrhea NOS - instead, use code R19.7
- Enteritis NOS - instead, use code K52.9
- Gastroenteritis NOS - instead, use code K52.9
- Noninfective gastroenteritis and colitis, unspecified - instead, use code K52.9
- DRG Group #391-392 - Esophagitis, gastroent and misc digest disorders with MCC.
- DRG Group #391-392 - Esophagitis, gastroent and misc digest disorders without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Ill-defined intestinal infection associated with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (disorder)
- Acute infective gastroenteritis (disorder)
- Acute ulcerative gastroenteritis complicating pneumonia (disorder)
- Ill-defined intestinal infection (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A09 - Infectious gastroenteritis and colitis, unspecified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A09. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code A09 and a single ICD9 code, 009.0 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.