ICD-10-CM Code B00.4
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
B00.4 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of herpesviral encephalitis. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code B004 is used to code Herpesviral encephalitis
Herpesviral encephalitis is encephalitis due to herpes simplex virus.
|ICD 9 Code:||543|
coronal T2-weighted MR image shows high signal in the temporal lobes including hippocampal formations and parahippogampal gyrae, insulae, and right inferior frontal gyrus. A brain biopsy was performed and the histology was consistent with encephalitis. PCR was repeated on the biopsy specimen and was positive for HSV
Coding Notes for B00.4 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Herpesviral meningoencephalitis
- Simian B disease
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Herpesviral encephalitis due to herpesvirus 6 and 7 (B10.01, B10.09) - instead, use code B10.01
- Non-simplex herpesviral encephalitis - instead, use code B10.0-
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx with MCC or chemo implant.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Cranio with major dev impl or acute complex cns pdx without MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with MCC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures with CC.
- DRG Group #023-027 - Craniotomy and endovascular intracranial procedures without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with MCC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis with CC.
- DRG Group #097-099 - Non-bacterial infect of nervous system except viral meningitis without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #793 - Full term neonate with major problems.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with MCC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition with CC.
- DRG Group #974-976 - Hiv with major related condition without CC or MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Herpetic meningoencephalitis (disorder)
- Herpetic acute necrotizing encephalitis (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'B00.4 - Herpesviral encephalitis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code B00.4. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code B00.4 and a single ICD9 code, 054.3 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.