ICD-10-CM Code F02
Dementia in other diseases classified elsewhere
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code F02 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the one child codes of F02 that describes the diagnosis 'dementia in other diseases classified elsewhere' in more detail.
- F02 Dementia in other diseases classified elsewhere NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code F02 is used to code Dementia
Dementia, also known as senility, is a broad category of brain diseases that cause a long term and often gradual decrease in the ability to think and remember that is great enough to affect a person's daily functioning. Other common symptoms include emotional problems, problems with language, and a decrease in motivation. A person's consciousness is usually not affected. A dementia diagnosis requires a change from a person's usual mental functioning and a greater decline than one would expect due to aging. These diseases also have a significant effect on a person's caregivers.
|MeSH Codes:||D003704, D003704|
|ICD 9 Codes:||290, 294|
Comparison of a normal aged brain (left) and the brain of a person with Alzheimer's (right). Differential characteristics are pointed out.
Coding Notes for F02 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- The underlying physiological condition, such as:
- Alzheimer's See code G30.-
- Cerebral lipidosis See code E75.4
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease See code A81.0-
- Dementia with Lewy bodies See code G31.83
- Epilepsy and recurrent seizures See code G40.-
- Frontotemporal dementia See code G31.09
- Hepatolenticular degeneration See code E83.0
- Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] disease See Section B20
- Hypercalcemia See code E83.52
- Hypothyroidism, acquired See Section E00-E03.-)
- Intoxications See Section T36-T65
- Jakob-Creutzfeldt disease See code A81.0-
- Multiple sclerosis See Code G35
- Neurosyphilis See code A52.17
- Niacin deficiency [pellagra] See Code E52
- Parkinson's disease See Code G20
- Pick's disease See code G31.01
- Polyarteritis nodosa See code M30.0
- Systemic lupus erythematosus See code M32.-
- Trypanosomiasis (B56.-, B57.-) See code B56.-
- Vitamin B deficiency See code E53.8
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Dementia with Parkinsonism - instead, use code G31.83
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Dementia in alcohol and psychoactive substance disorders - instead, use Section F10-F19, with .17, .27, .97)
- Vascular dementia - instead, use code F01.5-