ICD-10-CM Code J00
Acute nasopharyngitis [common cold]
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
J00 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of acute nasopharyngitis [common cold]. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code J00 is used to code Respiratory disease
Respiratory disease is a medical term that encompasses pathological conditions affecting the organs and tissues that make gas exchange possible in higher organisms, and includes conditions of the upper respiratory tract, trachea, bronchi, bronchioles, alveoli, pleura and pleural cavity, and the nerves and muscles of breathing. Respiratory diseases range from mild and self-limiting, such as the common cold, to life-threatening entities like bacterial pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, and lung cancer.
|MeSH Codes:||D012140, D012140, D012140, D012140, D012140, D012140|
|ICD 9 Codes:||460, 470, 480, 490, 500, 519|
Micrograph of an emphysematous lung; emphysema is a common respiratory disease, strongly associated with smoking. H&E stain.
Coding Notes for J00 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Acute rhinitis
- Coryza (acute)
- Infective nasopharyngitis NOS
- Infective rhinitis
- Nasal catarrh, acute
- Nasopharyngitis NOS
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Acute pharyngitis - instead, use code J02.-
- Acute sore throat NOS - instead, use code J02.9
- Pharyngitis NOS - instead, use code J02.9
- Rhinitis NOS - instead, use code J31.0
- Sore throat NOS - instead, use code J02.9
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Allergic rhinitis (J30.1-J30.9) - instead, use code J30.1-
- Chronic pharyngitis - instead, use code J31.2
- Chronic rhinitis - instead, use code J31.0
- Chronic sore throat - instead, use code J31.2
- Nasopharyngitis, chronic - instead, use code J31.1
- Vasomotor rhinitis - instead, use code J30.0
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with MCC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses with CC.
- DRG Group #011-013 - Tracheostomy for face, mouth and neck diagnoses without CC or MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri with MCC.
- DRG Group #152-153 - Otitis media and uri without MCC.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Parainfluenza virus rhinopharyngitis (disorder)
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'J00 - Acute nasopharyngitis [common cold]'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code J00. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official exact match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that in all cases where the ICD9 code 460 was previously used, J00 is the appropriate modern ICD10 code.