ICD-10-CM Code O65.5
Obstructed labor due to abnormality of maternal pelvic organs
Billable CodeBillable codes are sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis.
Female OnlyCode is only used for female patients.
Maternity OnlyCode is only used for diagnoses related to pregnancy.
O65.5 is a billable ICD code used to specify a diagnosis of obstructed labor due to abnormality of maternal pelvic organs. A 'billable code' is detailed enough to be used to specify a medical diagnosis.
The ICD code O65 is used to code Obstructed labour
Obstructed labour, also known as labour dystocia, is when, even though the uterus is contracting normally, the baby does not exit the pelvis during childbirth due to being physically blocked. Complications for the baby include not getting enough oxygen which may result in death. It increases the risk of the mother getting an infection, having uterine rupture, or having post-partum bleeding. Long term complications for the mother include obstetrical fistula. Obstructed labour is said to result in prolonged labour, when the active phase of labour is longer than twelve hours.
An image of a deformed pelvis, a risk factor for obstructed labour
Coding Notes for O65.5 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms are a list of concepts for which a specific code is used. The list of Inclusion Terms is useful for determining the correct code in some cases, but the list is not necessarily exhaustive.
- Obstructed labor due to conditions listed in O34.- See code O34.-
Additional Code Note:
Use Additional CodeUse Additional Code note means a second code must be used in conjunction with this code. Codes with this note are Etiology codes and must be followed by a Manifestation code or codes.
- Code to identify abnormality of pelvic organs O34.- See code O34.-
- DRG Group #767-768 - Vaginal delivery with sterilization and or d&c.
- DRG Group #767-768 - Vaginal delivery with operating room procedure except steril and or d&c.
- DRG Group #774 - Vaginal delivery with complicating diagnoses.
- DRG Group #775 - Vaginal delivery without complicating diagnoses.
Related Concepts SNOMET-CT
- Pelvic soft tissue abnormality in pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium - delivered with postnatal complication (disorder)
Coding Advice SNOMET-CT
- Consider additional code to identify specific condition or disease
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'O65.5 - Obstructed labor due to abnormality of maternal pelvic organs'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code O65.5. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.
Equivalent ICD-9 Code GENERAL EQUIVALENCE MAPPINGS (GEM)
This is the official approximate match mapping between ICD9 and ICD10, as provided by the General Equivalency mapping crosswalk. This means that while there is no exact mapping between this ICD10 code O65.5 and a single ICD9 code, 660.21 is an approximate match for comparison and conversion purposes.