ICD-10-CM Section D49
Neoplasms of unspecified behavior
- D49 Neoplasms of unspecified behavior NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE D49.0 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of digestive system
- BILLABLE D49.1 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of respiratory system
- BILLABLE D49.2 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of bone, soft tissue, and skin
- BILLABLE D49.3 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of breast
- BILLABLE D49.4 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of bladder
- BILLABLE D49.5 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of other genitourinary organs
- BILLABLE D49.6 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of brain
- BILLABLE D49.7 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of endocrine glands and other parts of nervous system
- D49.8 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of other specified sites NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE D49.9 Neoplasm of unspecified behavior of unspecified site
Coding Notes for Section D49
- Section Notes:
- Functional activity
- All neoplasms are classified in this chapter, whether they are functionally active or not. An additional code from Chapter 4 may be used, to identify functional activity associated with any neoplasm.
- Morphology [Histology]
- Chapter 2 classifies neoplasms primarily by site (topography), with broad groupings for behavior, malignant, in situ, benign, etc. The Table of Neoplasms should be used to identify the correct topography code. In a few cases, such as for malignant melanoma and certain neuroendocrine tumors, the morphology (histologic type) is included in the category and codes.
- Primary malignant neoplasms overlapping site boundaries
- A primary malignant neoplasm that overlaps two or more contiguous (next to each other) sites should be classified to the subcategory/code .8 ('overlapping lesion'), unless the combination is specifically indexed elsewhere. For multiple neoplasms of the same site that are not contiguous, such as tumors in different quadrants of the same breast, codes for each site should be assigned.
- Malignant neoplasm of ectopic tissue
- Malignant neoplasms of ectopic tissue are to be coded to the site mentioned, e.g., ectopic pancreatic malignant neoplasms are coded to pancreas, unspecified code C25.9.