ICD-10-CM Section C30-C39
Malignant neoplasms of respiratory and intrathoracic organs
- C30 Malignant neoplasm of nasal cavity and middle ear NON-BILLABLE
- C31 Malignant neoplasm of accessory sinuses NON-BILLABLE
- C34 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung NON-BILLABLE
- C34.0 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus NON-BILLABLE
- C34.1 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C34.2 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung
- C34.3 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung NON-BILLABLE
- C34.8 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus and lung NON-BILLABLE
- C34.9 Malignant neoplasm of bronchus lung NON-BILLABLE
- C38 Malignant neoplasm of heart, mediastinum and pleura NON-BILLABLE
C39 - Malignant neoplasm of other and ill-defined sites in the respiratory system and intrathoracic organs
Coding Notes for Section C30-C39
- Section Notes:
- Functional activity
- All neoplasms are classified in this chapter, whether they are functionally active or not. An additional code from Chapter 4 may be used, to identify functional activity associated with any neoplasm.
- Morphology [Histology]
- Chapter 2 classifies neoplasms primarily by site (topography), with broad groupings for behavior, malignant, in situ, benign, etc. The Table of Neoplasms should be used to identify the correct topography code. In a few cases, such as for malignant melanoma and certain neuroendocrine tumors, the morphology (histologic type) is included in the category and codes.
- Primary malignant neoplasms overlapping site boundaries
- A primary malignant neoplasm that overlaps two or more contiguous (next to each other) sites should be classified to the subcategory/code .8 ('overlapping lesion'), unless the combination is specifically indexed elsewhere. For multiple neoplasms of the same site that are not contiguous, such as tumors in different quadrants of the same breast, codes for each site should be assigned.
- Malignant neoplasm of ectopic tissue
- Malignant neoplasms of ectopic tissue are to be coded to the site mentioned, e.g., ectopic pancreatic malignant neoplasms are coded to pancreas, unspecified code C25.9.