ICD-10-CM Section C40-C41
Malignant neoplasms of bone and articular cartilage
- C40 Malignant neoplasm of bone and articular cartilage of limbs NON-BILLABLE
- C40.0 Malignant neoplasm of and of NON-BILLABLE
- C40.1 Malignant neoplasm of of NON-BILLABLE
- C40.2 Malignant neoplasm of of NON-BILLABLE
- C40.3 Malignant neoplasm of of NON-BILLABLE
- C40.8 Malignant neoplasm of bone and articular cartilage of NON-BILLABLE
- C40.80 Malignant neoplasm of overlapping sites of bone and articular cartilage of unspecified limb BILLABLE
- C40.81 Malignant neoplasm of overlapping sites of bone and articular cartilage of right limb BILLABLE
- C40.82 Malignant neoplasm of overlapping sites of bone and articular cartilage of left limb BILLABLE
- C40.9 Malignant neoplasm of and articular cartilage of NON-BILLABLE
- C41 Malignant neoplasm of bone and articular cartilage of other and unspecified sites NON-BILLABLE
Coding Notes for Section C40-C41
- Section Notes:
- Functional activity
- All neoplasms are classified in this chapter, whether they are functionally active or not. An additional code from Chapter 4 may be used, to identify functional activity associated with any neoplasm.
- Morphology [Histology]
- Chapter 2 classifies neoplasms primarily by site (topography), with broad groupings for behavior, malignant, in situ, benign, etc. The Table of Neoplasms should be used to identify the correct topography code. In a few cases, such as for malignant melanoma and certain neuroendocrine tumors, the morphology (histologic type) is included in the category and codes.
- Primary malignant neoplasms overlapping site boundaries
- A primary malignant neoplasm that overlaps two or more contiguous (next to each other) sites should be classified to the subcategory/code .8 ('overlapping lesion'), unless the combination is specifically indexed elsewhere. For multiple neoplasms of the same site that are not contiguous, such as tumors in different quadrants of the same breast, codes for each site should be assigned.
- Malignant neoplasm of ectopic tissue
- Malignant neoplasms of ectopic tissue are to be coded to the site mentioned, e.g., ectopic pancreatic malignant neoplasms are coded to pancreas, unspecified code C25.9.