ICD-10-CM Code A40
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code A40 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the five child codes of A40 that describes the diagnosis 'streptococcal sepsis' in more detail.
- A40 Streptococcal sepsis NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code A40 is used to code Sepsis
Sepsis is a whole-body inflammatory response to an infection. Common signs and symptoms include fever, increased heart rate, increased breathing rate, and confusion. There may also be symptoms related to a specific infection, such as a cough with pneumonia, or painful urination with a kidney infection. In the very young, old, and people with a weakened immune system, there may be no symptoms of a specific infection and the body temperature may be low or normal rather than high. Severe sepsis is sepsis causing poor organ function or insufficient blood flow. Insufficient blood flow may be evident by low blood pressure, high blood lactate, or low urine output. Septic shock is low blood pressure due to sepsis that does not improve after reasonable amounts of intravenous fluids are given.
|ICD 9 Code:||995.91|
Blood culture bottles: orange label for anaerobes, green label for aerobes, and yellow label for blood samples from children
Coding Notes for A40 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
- Postprocedural streptococcal sepsis See code T81.4
- Streptococcal sepsis during labor See code O75.3
- Streptococcal sepsis following abortion or ectopic or molar pregnancy See Section O03-O07, O08.0)
- Streptococcal sepsis following immunization See code T88.0
- Streptococcal sepsis following infusion, transfusion or therapeutic injection See code T80.2-
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Neonatal (P36.0-P36.1) - instead, use code P36.0-
- Puerperal sepsis - instead, use Code O85
- Sepsis due to Streptococcus, group D - instead, use code A41.81
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A40 - Streptococcal sepsis'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A40. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.