ICD-10-CM Code C43
Malignant melanoma of skin
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code C43 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the ten child codes of C43 that describes the diagnosis 'malignant melanoma of skin' in more detail.
- C43 Malignant melanoma of skin NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C43.0 Malignant melanoma of
- C43.1 Malignant melanoma of NON-BILLABLE
- C43.2 Malignant melanoma of NON-BILLABLE
- C43.3 Malignant melanoma of NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C43.4 Malignant melanoma of
- C43.5 Malignant melanoma of NON-BILLABLE
- C43.6 Malignant melanoma of NON-BILLABLE
- C43.7 Malignant melanoma of NON-BILLABLE
- BILLABLE C43.8 Malignant melanoma of skin
- BILLABLE C43.9 Malignant melanoma of
The ICD code C43 is used to code Melanoma
Melanoma, also known as malignant melanoma, is a type of cancer that develops from the pigment-containing cells known as melanocytes. Melanomas typically occur in the skin but may rarely occur in the mouth, intestines, or eye. In women they most commonly occur on the legs, while in men they are most common on the back. Sometimes they develop from a mole with concerning changes including an increase in size, irregular edges, change in color, itchiness, or skin breakdown.
|Specialty:||Oncology And Dermatology|
|ICD 9 Code:||172.9|
A melanoma of approximately 2.5 cm by 1.5 cm
Coding Notes for C43 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Melanoma in situ - instead, use code D03.-
Code Type-2 Excludes:
Type-2 ExcludesType-2 Excludes means the excluded conditions are different, although they may appear similar. A patient may have both conditions, but one does not include the other. Excludes 2 means "not coded here."
- Malignant melanoma of skin of genital organs - instead, use Section C51-C52, C60.-, C63.-)
- Merkel cell carcinoma - instead, use code C4A.-
- Sites other than skin-code to malignant neoplasm of the site
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'C43 - Malignant melanoma of skin'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code C43. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.