ICD-10-CM Code A85
Other viral encephalitis, not elsewhere classified
Non-Billable CodeNon-Billable means the code is not sufficient justification for admission to an acute care hospital when used a principal diagnosis. Use a child code to capture more detail.
ICD Code A85 is a non-billable code. To code a diagnosis of this type, you must use one of the four child codes of A85 that describes the diagnosis 'other viral encephalitis, not elsewhere classified' in more detail.
- A85 Other viral encephalitis, not elsewhere classified NON-BILLABLE
The ICD code A85 is used to code Viral encephalitis
Coding Notes for A85 Info for medical coders on how to properly use this ICD-10 code
Code Includes Notes:
IncludesIncludes notes further define, or give examples of, conditions included in the section.
- Specified viral encephalomyelitis NEC
- Specified viral meningoencephalitis NEC
Code Type-1 Excludes:
Type-1 ExcludesType-1 Excludes mean the conditions excluded are mutually exclusive and should never be coded together. Excludes 1 means "do not code here."
- Benign myalgic encephalomyelitis - instead, use code G93.3
- Encephalitis due to cytomegalovirus - instead, use code B25.8
- Encephalitis due to herpesvirus NEC - instead, use code B10.0-
- Encephalitis due to herpesvirus [herpes simplex] - instead, use code B00.4
- Encephalitis due to measles virus - instead, use code B05.0
- Encephalitis due to mumps virus - instead, use code B26.2
- Encephalitis due to poliomyelitis virus - instead, use code A80.-
- Encephalitis due to zoster - instead, use code B02.0
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis - instead, use code A87.2
ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index References for 'A85 - Other viral encephalitis, not elsewhere classified'
The ICD-10-CM Alphabetical Index links the below-listed medical terms to the ICD code A85. Click on any term below to browse the alphabetical index.